Friday, March 18, 2011

Gluten Free Tropical Pancakes

Our recent experiment in vegan gluten freedom has taught me an important lesson:  I don't want to eat gluten as much as I used to.  No, I don't have a major allergy and no, I'm not trying to get all trend-diet preachy on you either.  I just plain feel good and that's all there is to it really.  So that being said, I've been experimenting with the wonderful world of alt flours.  There are literally billions to choose from (well, maybe not billions).  AND it makes you feel a little more like an evil scientist while baking - which is pretty awesome.

Note: soy flour is gross.  Second Note: no gluten free baking batter tastes good until baked.  Word.

During my month of vegan gluten freeness I also learned that I miss gluten most in the morning.  A slice of toast with peanut butter, a crumbly blueberry muffin and my god, pancakes.  So I decided to take matters into my own hands and invent (i.e. combine-recipes-and-experiment) a pancake recipe that is damn good...



Gluten Free Tropical Pancakes:

1/4 c coconut flour
1/3 c brown rice flour
1/3 c quinoa flour
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
2/3 c fine ground corn meal

1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c coconut milk
3/4 c water
1 c chopped apple bits (roughly one apple)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c dried coconut shreds

1/2 c crushed macadamia nuts (optional)

In a medium bowl mix together flours, flax seeds, corn (starch and meal), baking (powder and soda), salt and cinnamon.  Mix in coconut milk and water until just mixed.  Fold in apples.  Portion out 1/2 c batter onto a slightly oiled pan (I effing love spray oils) and sprinkle a pinch of coconut flakes onto the top.  Let the cake sit on medium heat until the center starts to bubble and the sides start to solidify - then flip!  Cook until golden brown and repeat process until batter is gone.  Garnish with crushed macadamia nuts (and earth balance and syrup of course).

Mmmmm...


Note: Make only enough cakes that you can garble down - these do not keep well!  Though the batter saves excellently.


Love you, mean it

Emily



photos via sapna magazine and simply in season.
recipes modified from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and The Garden of Vegan and a dash of mad scientist-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment