Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cornfed

I get stuck in a food rut sometimes.  I tend towards the same items whenever I browse the aisles of the market: avocado, kale, walnuts, some sort of grain... And though I love those items and could eat them all the time, I long for something new.  Sometimes the answer is so obvious you hit yourself in the head and say "duh!!"  Last night I had a deliciously simple meal consisting of cornbread, maple baked beans and sauteed greens.  Can you say yumm?


Cornbread often is teaming with wheat flour (a three to one ratio usually).  BUT I found a recipe that requires just corn meal - hope you enjoy!


Cornbread

2 c corn meal (medium ground)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 c milk sub (I used soy)
1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp vegenaise
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 450˚ F and oil a 9x9 baking dish.  Measure out the milk sub and pour the vinegar in it and set aside to curdle.  Sift together corn meal, salt, cayenne and baking soda & powder.  Stir in curdled milk sub and vegenaise.  Pour batter into baking dish and heat for 35 minutes or until deep golden brown.

I served this with regular ol' baked beans (which I sauteed in 1 tbsp of maple syrup, a pinch of salt and about a quarter of an onion diced) and rainbow chard (steamed with a little olive oil and bragg's liquid aminos).



Lemme know what you think!

Love you, mean it

Emily

photos by Emma Hardy, plantware

No comments:

Post a Comment