Sunday, October 18, 2009

Flapjacks? Hot cakes? Pancakes?

by barton
Whatever they are they sure are yummy. Its a rare occasion when I get the chance to eat anything thats fluffy. But these little suckers are awesome. Easy to make, not too many flours to make it happen (as most gluten free morsels take) and my non gluten-free roommates liked them too.

I used the recipe I found on Gluten Free Mommy. I modified the recipe a bit to serve my dietary needs. Don't forget that if you are substituting buttermilk for anything else you need to add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to make the construction of the baked good correct. (more info here)

I started with this cornmeal I found on the shelf of the pantry in my kitchen.

I loved the box, but it was filled with bugs. Ew. 

So I took myself to the corner store and bought some good 'ol Bob's Redmill Cornmeal. The thing about this and other cornmeal is that most are made in facilities that manufacture wheat and other allergens. Be careful if you are very very sensitive. 


CORNMEAL PANCAKES

2 cups stoneground yellow cornmeal, medium grain
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups goat milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg



Directions (with help from Gluten Free Mommy):
Heat the oven to 200 degrees so you can put the made pancakes in there to keep warm. 

In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, rice flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, beat the buttermilk, water, oil and egg with a fork until blended. Add to the cornmeal mixture and mix until lumps are eliminated.


Lightly oil a griddle and heat over medium heat. For each pancake, the recipe recommends pouring about a 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle. 

Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until brown. Turn the pancakes and cook for about 2 minutes longer, or until browned on the second side. 

Love you, Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment