Monday, August 17, 2009

Fig, Cherry Tomato & Walnut Pizza

I made this pizza last week for a dinner party I was going to with some non-vegan friends. This could also be called a bruschetta I suppose because I don't use cheese for my pizza. Vegan cheeses, although sometimes needed (cravings hurt), are mostly overrated. So if you want to make this more "pizza-y" I would recommend a handful of shredded Follow Your Heart Monterey Jack - it's my favorite mild vegan cheese.


I don't quite remember when I first made this pizza - but I love it and I think you will too. It was inspired by the abundance of fresh figs surrounding me at the market. I just had to bring some home!


Fig, Cherry Tomato & Walnut Pizza


• 1 pint fresh figs (about 10 figs) sliced in quarters or halved (depending on how chunky monkey you like it)
• 1 pint cherry grape tomatoes (with green tops cut off)
• 1/2 onion
• herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano - finely chop & sprinkle to taste)(optional)
• 2 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
• one medium head of broccoli chopped
• 1/2 c of walnuts chopped
• 4(ish) Tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 tsp brown sugar
• salt & pepper to taste
• balsamic vinegar (optional)
• pizza crust of choice (I used Alvarado St.)

Start with caramelizing the onions in a frying pan with 2 Tbsp of olive oil, brown sugar and a bit of salt. Preheat your oven to 350˚ and line a cookie sheet with tinfoil.


When onions look a little brown on edges, add tomatoes & figs. You can either add the tomatoes whole or cut them in half first. Half the fun is popping them when they are cooked - it can be a little messy though ;)


Cook until the skin of the baby tomatoes gets a little wrinkley then pop the tomatoes carefully and add your fresh herbs (including basil).


While you cook the herbs in, rub the remaining olive oil into the pizza crust. I cut the crust in half because I made the other have with Mozzarella for my non-vegans.


When your sauce is thick but not watery you are ready to cook your pizza. Evenly distribute sauce over crust. Sprinkle some salt & pepper on to taste. Place broccoli around evenly and sprinkle with walnuts.


Bake pizza in your pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes or until the walnuts & broccoli look toasty & a bit brown on top. Drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top and garnish with more fresh basil.


Love you, mean it

Emily

2 comments:

  1. well, a whole year later i finally made this shit. i couldn't pass up the last figs of the season and this recipe was a perfect way to put them to use. it was deeeeeeeelish!! thanks, em!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats adorable because Em and I just made this the other night too!! :)

    ReplyDelete