Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fresh Strawberries


So I was did a marketing event for work this past weekend where we sampled Swanton strawberries.  They are seriously the best strawberries I have ever had and they are just coming into season!  


Swanton Berry Farm is located in Davenport, CA near Santa Cruz.  I've heard they have U-Pick days?  You should check it out if you live near there!

Anywhozles, I came home with like 4 pints of strawberries?!  I didn't want to freeze them all so I scoured the interweb for some vegan recipes.  I found a great one on egglesscooking for some Strawberry "cupcakes."  Yeah folks, they're called muffins.




Fresh Strawberry Muffins

1 ¾ c Unbleached All Purpose Flour
¾ c Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
14-16 Fresh Strawberries
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
½ c Canola Oil
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
soy milk
½ c walnuts (chopped)

Preheat the oven to 350.˚ Line a 12ct. muffin tin. In a large bowl combine together the flour, baking soda and sugar. In another bowl mix the oil, vinegar and vanilla. Cut the strawberries into small chunks and mash them in a separate bowl. Add the strawberry mash to the oil mixture and stir. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir together but do not overstir. Fold in walnuts with a bit a soy milk. Consistency should be chunky. Fill muffin tins evenly (should be 12 muffins).  Muffins should look like this:



Bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Eat one first before they are all gone! For Serious!



My boy and I ate all dozen of these in like 2 days!  I was going to bring some to work but the boy grabbed me squarely by the shoulders and shook his head NO, no you cannot give away our precious muffins.  Lulz.  But really they are that fab.  I'm going to try the Strawberry Coconut Scone recipe I found on postpunkkitchen next.  Pictures and recipe to follow!



Love you, mean it

Emily


Top picture taken from pinchmysalt, logo taken from swanton all other photos taken by me

No comments:

Post a Comment