Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sweat it

I made my first enemy at school while talking sh*t about sweatpants accidentally in front of a girl wearing sweatpants. Not my proudest moment but there is something wrong about a girl who wears sweatpants to fashion school. Until now...

Now in my school of thought one does not wear sweatpants out of the house if they aren't going to the gym. Period. One also does not wear pajamas outside of the house or let men wear sandals outside of the beach. All of these things give the appearance that you don't care what you look like. Don't get me wrong - there are certainly days when I feel less-than-inspired to get dressed. Those days are for jeans and t-shirts. I'm pretty sure if my house was on fire I would actually grab pants before I left the house. I'm that anal about it.

Some of the trends from Fashion Week for next Spring are pretty apparent like....

Cut-outs:
by Max Azria

Leg-of-Mutton Sleeves:
by Alexandre Herchovitch

Mixed Prints:
by Anna Sui

Tattoo-Like Details:
by Rodarte

Underwear as Outerwear:
by Proenza Schouler


But what was LESS apparent was why anyone would choose to make sweatpants into a trend?? When I read this on the cut a few days ago a little puke crawled into my throat. I think I had noticed them in some of my favorite shows (Marc by Marc Jacobs etc.) but my eyes didn't want to see it. Yet, they were there with flashing lights, warning sirens, and do-not-cross police tape.






In order of appearance Elie Tahari, Band of Outsiders, Alexander Wang, Generra and Marc by Marc Jacobs.

Some of you can choose to dawn this trend in the coming spring.
I, for one, will not.



Love you, mean it

Emily

1 comment: