Friday, September 4, 2009

"Without a Hurt, the Heart is Hollow"


Hi, my name is Emily and I'm a knitter.

Recently, I've sort of fallen off the wagon (or onto the wagon? I'm never quite sure). I haven't knitted in a while. There, I said it. I think it's because I'm the type of knitter who likes results. One Skein Projects is like my mantra. After making about a billion and one hats, scarves and gloves I'm bored. I wanna make a damn sweater! But what I don't want to do is knit for 37 rows in size 2 needles. That #@*% sucks yo. So what's a knitter to do?

When I was in college, not so many moons ago, my roommate taught me to knit. My first scarf is a very long, very thin, cream colored boucle piece that I still love (although it's turned quite gray in places). Being September, I like to remember afternoons with nothing to do but drink tea and knit with a kitty purring.

To draw some inspiration for September knitting projects I like to look at sites like Knitknit, which bears a book by the same name. Sabrina Gschwandtner, writer of Knitknit, pens this progressive artist's publication about the craft of knitting. And it's much more than just your grandmother's sweater.

One of the projects I've been dying to try are these beautiful repurposed, knitted heels by Tina Marrin.


Basically you drill holes in the bottom 1/2" of the shoe to cast on to. Then knit up in the round til you've created the darling little bootie on the right.

They remind me of these shoes I recently saw on FashionIndie.



They are by Cesare Paciotti for Ohne Titel. These shoes are part of their drapey knit, fall collection. They remind me that with the initial idea (unconventional knitting), you can go anywhere (knitting unconventional shoes).

So tell me, what are you going to knit this September?




Love you, mean it

Emily

1 comment:

  1. blogs written with the help of yoga and coffee. for realz.

    I love this. when do i get to watch you craft this project, ay!?

    xoxo, mwah, kisses, blablabla
    -b

    ReplyDelete