Friday, March 13, 2009

Fiery Constitution

Sometimes I feel like I want to barf during yoga class.  

I take Hatha Flow classes twice a week at a local yoga studio called Yoga Mandala.  I told my teacher last week that sometimes during yoga I want to blow chunks.  She said it was totally normal to my dismay (I like to think I'm a freak of nature).  She said it was because I have a fiery constitution.  I was like umm, duh, red hair, I get it.  But in actuality it has to do not with the color of my fur (curtains match the drapes) but with my Ayurveda.  Sounds hippified right?  Well it's basically a super ancient Indian healing method (developed like 10 thousand years ago).  It means "knowledge of life" (yoga mandala).  



With my fiery constitution I should be drinking more water (what every doctor tells me) and I should be eating cooling foods like coconut water, kale, bitter melon, etc.  So I've been nomming on this cray amaze kale salad ever since.  I don't know if it's working but I can tell you that I felt nominally more energized during yoga yesterday and I didn't feel like I wanted to yawn in technicolor once.

Here is the recipe for anyone who is interested:

Emerald Kale Salad

1 bunch of curly kale
1/8 cup olive oil

Wash & break kale into bite-sized pieces.  Put into a large mixing bowl.  Pour oil over kale and get in there and massage that kale (no joke) for 1-5 minutes.

1 1/2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/8 cup soy sauce or tamari (wheat free tamari is totally acceptable too)
1/8 cup sesame seeds
Juice of one half lemon

Mix in sesame oil, tamari and sesame seeds into the kale.  Juice the lemon on top.  Toss & enjoy!


It's frigging delicious.

Love you, mean it

Emily

p.s. I'm going on a thrifting adventure this weekend - will update you with my treasures Monday!  I'm looking to find something I can use to make some high-waisted shorts!

pictures found on google images

No comments:

Post a Comment