Saturday, March 7, 2009

Goth 5 Year Old

I had two ambitions as a child.  One was to become a paleontologist and discover dinosaur bones.  The other was to become a vampire.  I don't remember if it was the sneaking about that intrigued me or if it was the immortality.  But I do remember wishing more than anything that I would become a vampire.  I told my parents I wanted to dye my hair black (it's naturally strawberry blonde).  When asked what my favorite color was in kindergarten I replied "ruby red."  I colored everything with my blood red crayon or my black one.  I tried ordering rare steaks and rare hamburgers.  I also read EVERY vampire book I could find (I question my parents judgement in letting a child read Ann Rice).  I also think I was a vampire for Halloween almost every year before I became too cool to scout for candy.

So today when I heard the body of a "vampire" was discovered in a mass grave of plague victims in Venice.  I almost shit my pants: 

"At the time... many people believed that the plague was spread by 'vampires' which, rather than drinking people's blood, spread disease by chewing on their shrouds after dying.  Grave-diggers put bricks in the mouths of suspected vampires to stop them from doing this" (New Scientist).


That.  Is.  Awesome.



And if you haven't seen it... HBO's True Blood is totally awesome.  AND about vampires.  



Season One just ended and will be out on DVD May 12th with Season 2 hot on it's coattails.  Check on HBO for more details.

Love you, mean it

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment