Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Strawberry Coconut Scones

As promised, I finally made those vegan strawberry coconut scones I mentioned earlier.  They didn't turn out exactly how I pictured them in my head, but they are really good and are getting rave reviews.  

I used strawberries from Swanton Berry Farm again and they are by no means almost gone.  So I'm sure there will be more strawberry recipes before the summer is over (my boyfriend swears I'm trying to make him fat).  And what better way to savour the summer than to bake with what's in season?


Vegan Strawberry Coconut Scones
Recipe brought to you by the Post Punk Kitchen

2 1/2 c white whole wheat flour
2 tbsp natural cane sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 c vegan butter substitute (I used Earth Balance)
1/2 c strawberry soy yogurt (I used Vanilla Wildwood soy yogurt)
1/2 c mashed up or pureed strawberries
3/4 c plan soy coffee creamer (I used Silk)
3/4 c rolled oats
3/4 c shredded unsweetened dried coconut (yeahhh, I didn't use this)
extra flour
rice milk (I used soy)
extra cane sugar

Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add in your margarine chilly and still hard, in chunks.  Cut in with a pastry blender until the texture resembles coarse crumbs (I just mixed it by hand - forearms of STEEL!).



Combine the yogurt, strawberries, and coffee creamer and mix well.  Add all at once to dry mixture.  Add the oats and coconut and stir the whole thing til just moistened (Okay, so I didn't use coconut.  I just added another 3/4 c oats.  I couldn't find any coconut that looked good and was unsweetened.  Plus the extra oats made the scones super hearty).  

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle about 10 or so inches in diameter (I had to add more flour here because the dough was still a bit sticky). Cut into 8 triangles (like you're cutting a pizza!).



Place the scones onto a lightly greased baking sheet.  Brush them with the rice milk, sprinkle generously with the cane sugar, and then sprinkle the coconut over the top (yet again no coconut for me).  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes (I had to bake mine for WAYYYYYY longer.  I baked mine for like 27 minutes!?  So I would check yours every 5 min after the first 12).



And enjoy!

...I know you're saying to yourself "I wouldn't eat my scone with oregano!?"  Yeah well?  I wouldn't either.  I just thought it would look nice for the picture ya jerks.  But seriously.  I ONLY get time to cook at night cause I work all day so I apologize for the sub-par pictures.  It would be awesome if my job was just to blog all day and take pics of the awesome delicacies I create alas, I work a 9 to 5er.

Try these out and let me know what you think or the addendums you made.

Love you, mean it

Emily



pictures from here and from my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment