Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Alternative Part II: Spaghetti! SQUASH! Spaghetti!

So I bet you thought I would post this before thanksgiving? Yeah, I did too. I bet you were all glued to your computers, refreshing our site every few minutes. Waiting with baited breath for this post... Yes, sometimes I kid myself.

Any-whoozles. For those of you sick of eating tofurky/turkey/? leftovers already here is an über simple recipe I picked up from my sister.


Spaghetti! SQUASH! Spaghetti!



Simple Sauce:

• 1 28oz. can of crushed tomatoes with basil
• 2 large carrots chopped (yes, I put carrots in my tomato sauce)
• 1/2 onion chopped
• garlic (optional and to taste)(I use 2 tbsp fresh grated GINGER instead - soooOooo delicious!)
• 6 or so mushrooms chopped
• Olive oil
• 1 tbsp sugar (or sweetener of choice)
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh/or not oregano
• splash of red wine (optional)
• 1 head of broccoli chopped into bite-size bits
• salt and pepper to taste



"Noodles"

• 1 lrg spaghetti squash
• salt and pepper to taste



"Noodles" Directions:

Slice your spaghetti squash in half (length-wise). Scoop all the guts out. Cover gutted squash with water in a large pot. Boil until the squash is super well done (stick a fork easily in it). Drain water. Run a fork length wise down your squash (see photo below). Those are your "noodles." I left mine in the squash for a nice visual bowl - but you don't have to. Scrape all your "noodles" out. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over and enjoy! One large squash will probably feed four people.


Simple Sauce Directions:

Heat a bit of olive oil in a frying pan (like 2 tbsp?) for a minute. Throw in onions & garlic (or ginger). Brown slightly. Then toss in the mushrooms and carrots. Cook until mushrooms are darker and shrink slightly (dis means dey cooked). Pour in tomatoes, oregano, red wine and sugar. Stir together and cook until the sauce starts to thicken (~10-15 minutes). Throw your broccoli on top and cover (for just a few minutes) until broccoli is dark green. Stir together and add salt and pepper (to taste). Voilá!

(combine with crusty bread from Turkey Alt Part I for extra awesome)

I hope you enjoy this! I know I certainly did. And the best part is (accept for the bread) this is vegan and gluten-free!


Love you, mean it

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment