Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Kicharee

A couple of weeks ago I went to visit an Ayurvedic practitioner (a really old Indian medicinal practice). Not because I'm not feeling well and not because I'm a hippy (I staunchly deny both). But because I was interested. Like I've mentioned before, I'm pretty firey. So it didn't surprise me to learn about my fire (pitta) earth (kapha) combination. Already being a vegan, I think I had a food death wish trying to follow my dosha, but here I am. Awkwardly flailing towards a healthier existence.


I tried this recipe out last night called Kicharee. Basically it's a rice and mung dhal which is very good for balancing whatever your dosha may be. It is used as a cleansing diet for detoxification and is suitable for people with weak digestion. I added a bit to the recipe (of course) but here she is, in all her lentilly glory:

Kicharee:

1 c basmati rice (I used brown)
1/2 c mung dhal (yellow split)
6 c water
1 tbsp coconut oil (I suppose you could use olive but I've been super into coconut oil lately)
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp curry powder/paste
salt to taste
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
Half small onion
1/2 slivered almonds (omit for detoxification diet)
1/2 bunch kale chopped

Rinse rice and dhal in a heavy bottom pot, remove water after rinsing. Add 6 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, simmer for about 45 minutes until mixture looks like a thick porridge. Stir occasionally and add more water towards the end if necessary. When it is ready, stir in kale until it turns slightly soggy and bright green.

In the last 20 minutes of cooking the dhal separately heat oil in a small pot, add mustard seeds, saute over low heat until the mustard seeds pop. Add cumin seeds, wait until it pops. Add ginger, onion, tumeric and curry. Cook until onion is transparent.

In the last 10 minutes toast almonds in the oven until slightly brown (I toasted them on 400˚ for about 5-10 minutes). Add ginger mixture to dhal. Sprinkle with cilantro and almonds. Enjoy!




I would say this serves 3-4 people. My boyfriend and I split it for dinner and both had some for lunch the next day. I hope you like it!



Love you, mean it

Emily



for this and other recipes go here. all photos were found on google images.

No comments:

Post a Comment